How to be cost efficient and still enjoy your summer
For most New Englanders, summer is a time to venture outside, enjoy the warm weather, and stay active before the snow comes back. Even on a budget, there are ways to make the most out of your summer without an elaborate vacation.
Check out this link to Visit NH and you’ll find that New Hampshire is a great state to explore because it offers coastline, mountains, arts and culture.
Venture to the White Mountains
If you enjoy the great outdoors, the White Mountains are the perfect spot for a summer getaway! State parks usually also have low admission fees. I'd suggest the following as activities in the White Mountains that won’t break your budget:
- Camping - A fun activity for the whole family. Check out this great list of campgrounds from the NH State Parks website. Most are near lakes so you can enjoy an afternoon of swimming or boating, and another plus, a number of campgrounds are also pet-friendly.
- Hiking - The Granite State is full of trails and mountains available to the public. Check out this list from Hike-NH. You’ll have fun, and enjoy a good workout!
- Sightseeing - Only have a day to travel? Discover everything New Hampshire has to offer by taking a scenic drive! Visit the National Scenic Byways Program to discover the most scenic routes! If you prefer to take a train ride, the White Mountains have several stations that offer both scenic rides and dinner trains. Check out this list of railroads for contact information, scheduling, and pricing.
Enjoy the Seacoast
If you enjoy the beach, visit the coastline in the southern part of the state. New Hampshire is home to 5 State Park beaches along the beautiful Northeast seacoast. The beach can be a free activity if you try the following tips to avoid added costs.
- Street parking - Arrive early to find spots that don’t require feeding a meter or paying a lot fee.
- Pack your own lunch - Bring a cooler, sandwiches, snacks, and drinks instead of paying high prices at a concession stand.
- Bring your own gear - Pack your own sunscreen, towels, floats, and toys rather than buying them when you get there.
Discover Arts & Culture
Find live music events, museums, fairs, and community activities. These are all great places to bring the whole family without breaking the bank. Be as frugal as possible and look for:
- Free child admission
- Discount days
- Group deals
Every little bit counts! Don’t miss out on all that NH offers.
Appreciate at Home Fun
Back yard barbeques are great for a friends-and-family get together. To create added entertainment and save money, US News outlines the following recommendations:
- Shop for foods at your local farmers market
- Create recipes for themed meals.
- Take turns hosting
Remember, you don’t have to miss out on a fun, enjoyable summer just because you’re living on a budget. Use these tips and track your spending to have a fun, safe, and more affordable summer season!
Return to "Blog"