Morning Hacks for Working Parents
Workweek mornings are tough. And as a working parent, trying to get yourself and small children ready and out the door on time is no small task. Over the years, I’ve felt like I was just fighting the odds but recently I learned the key is to working smarter, not harder to make this happen. Here are a few tips to help you get started and out the door on the right foot.
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you get up. Why? Because you need to drink 8 glasses per day so why not get one out of the way immediately that could possibly help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism and starting on your day off right.
- Make getting ready into a race. Kid vs. Kid, Kid vs. Spouse, or bet your child that they can’t brush their teeth and hair before you finish you cup of coffee. (even if they win, you get to enjoy your coffee in peace!)
- Plan the week’s outfits. Be sure to check the weather first, but plan out all of your outfits for the week, trust me… it’s easier than staring sleepy-eyed at your closet wondering how you have nothing to wear. And for your kids, pack outfits for the week (including socks & hair accessories) in a Ziploc bag and let them pick the bag and get dressed on their own.
- Make a Checklist. Create a morning routine checklist for your kids to complete before heading out the door; include items like brush teeth/hair, get lunch/lunch money, gym/sports clothes, homework, etc. (a similar checklist could be used when they get home from school and include things like empty lunchbox, feed cat, have a snack, homework, etc)
- Keep extras of everything in the car. Extra clothes for everyone (coffee spills, diaper blowouts, etc), extra cash for when you arrive at school and your child tells you their lunch is still on the counter at home, and a to-go toiletries bag for when your mornings just don’t go as planned.
This list could go on forever, but even incorporating just these few tips into your morning routine could shave seconds off your departure time. :)
Return to "Blog"