Contractor's References - Questions to Ask
QUESTIONS TO ASK REFERENCES
To protect yourself, always check the contractor's references. This is an essential stage of qualifying the right person for your project. Here are just a few questions to ask previous customers:
- Could they communicate well with the remodeler?
- Were they pleased with the quality of work? (This is a tough question, however, since everyone defines "quality" differently. It is much better to ask to see the completed project to determine the level of quality for yourself.)
- Were they satisfied with the remodeler's business practices?
- Did the crew show up on time?
- Were they comfortable with the subcontractors who were hired?
- Was the job completed on schedule?
- Did the remodeler fulfill his or her contract?
- Did the contractor stay in touch throughout the project?
- Were the final details finished in a timely manner?
- Would you use the remodeler again without hesitation?
This article was submitted by The National Association of the Remodeling Industry, which is committed to educating both trade professionals and remodeling-ready homeowners. NARI does this by reaching out to a diverse audience in a variety of formats including education, training, publications and programs. Contact NARI at (800) 611-6274. Submission of this article does not imply an endorsement or recommendation of the Financial Resource Center site.
Return to "Blog"